Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

Riding in Cars with Food

Tags:

Damn! I just realized how obscure my title references are. I don't think anybody ever went out and saw that movie. At least I didn't. But there are some titles that just bounce around in the brain and never leave. Enough about that.

Drive and EatI was supposed to write this article a long time back. Back when I figured out how much time I spend driving / sleeping / waiting in my car. An average workday, for example, means that I get to spend at least 4 hours driving (and that is if I don't have to drive round during work hours just to get to my meetings). So minimum 4 hours a day. That is a fifth of my 24 hour day. Not too bad, you'd think, but subtract the hours when I'm supposed to be asleep and you'll see how bad it is:

24 Hours - 8 Hours = 16 hours That means I spend 25% of my waking hours in my car MINIMUM! And what else do I do the rest of the day? Work mostly. That is another 8 hours, which means I have 4 hours left. Now subtract the 3 hours I should be spending eating my meals and I have 1 hour all to myself. Whoopee-doo!

It's no surprise that I've learned to eat while driving. Actually, I eat breakfast in the car most of the time. And then some dinners. Lunch I skip. All this just to squeeze in more time for my other pursuits (I write for this Blog and tape our podcasts, for example, during my lunch hour). Problem is, I'm an avid rice-boy. I am never fully satisfied with life unless I get to eat a good amount of rice during my meal. This, as should be obvious by now, when done in the car, may be very tricky.Siomai and Rice

So what I did was experimented. I tried eating different food products while driving and this is what I learned:

Edsa Rush hour is your friend.
Once you get past the clutch and go driving that is required, you get a couple of seconds at every stop to free both your hands and get a good bite in.

Know exactly where your mouth is.
You'd be surprised at how much of a problem this can become. Just yesterday, I was being fed some spaghetti while in the car and I aimed a little too high. Now my one and only polo-barong is in jeopardy of being ruined. I won't mention names though... Right Mox?

Cookies in CarCrumbs itch.
This morning I ate a bag of biscochos which tasted great. I should get my vacuum cleaner ready.

Lastly, I'm providing a table with degree of difficulty and speed of consumption. Please be guided. If you're not a professional car-eating machine, choose food that's easy enough to eat.


Food:Difficulty Level:Notes:
Rice meal on flat styro
red bar
This is very difficult to do. Half of the time you're worrying the thing will slide and slip all over you. The need to balance the styro on one hand doesn't help either.
Rice meal in bowl
red barNow this is the life. Still for pro's only, but I love eating Dimsum and Dumplings Siomai rice toppings when in my car. Try to choose viand that doesn't have sauce.
Sloppy Sandwichesred barIncluding "saucy" wiches such as the Big Mac, Champ, et al, this can be messy but is manageable. Just make sure you have a firm grip and that half of the sandwich is still in the wax paper.
Dry Sandwiches
red barNot a problem. Leisurely fare that you can eat even while speeding away in the fast lane.
Cookies, Biscuits and packed junk food
red barThis type of food was made for driving. Very little of your attention is necessary.
Drinking without a straw
red barVirtually impossible unless your fully stopped or there aren't any cars and obstacles around. I advise you to NEVER do this. Best scenario is the liquid shoots out of your nostrils.

Comments:
Ang ganda na ng blog mo. I'm so proud of you.
 
Talaga? Salamat naman. Visitors na lang ang kulang. Hehe. Mga 100 Unique lang ako a week.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
You don't want to know my numbers... oh what the heck... I've opened up my stats page at:

rickey.org stats

Feel free to look around for a couple of days before I close it again. The chart for one looks scary.
 
Wow... damn that's a lot of readers.
 
True. I guess I was refering to plastic cup drinking while driving.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web tracker