Wednesday, July 27, 2005

 

Failing as a Blogger

Key Words:

Oh how I dream of the success that Rickey has made for himself blogging at his Rickey.org website. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be seriously envious of Rickey. But he's ranked as Pinoy Top Blogs #3 right now and Blogtopsites #1. Not too bad for an old UP friend who has escaped from the troubles by flying off to Manhattan.

On one hand I AM proud of him Very proud. He has managed to cut a niche out of the proverbial ball of cheese (is there even such a proverb), and created a well-deserved cult following. He is getting the web attention that we have been dreaming of all the while working in the dusty old UP CSSP Computer Lab back in 1997 -- the web attention that I, hard as it is for me to admit, crave.

I don't think it's due to any lack of personality. Neither is it because of my writing style. Some people actually think I have personality to spare, and my writing style ain't too shabby. I think I'm simply not built for blogging. I lack the focus and drive to write something coherent everyday. I lack the crowd-pleasing bone that makes people like Rickey effectively write about things that are of interest to the majority. I'm neither pop enough nor am I gothic enough to be interesting.

There's a lot that can be said about the importance of focus in the world of blogging. Without focus, as I recently found out, you have very little chance of being found on a Google search or Yahoo search. And I've been asking myself about what it is that "Artichoke Adobo" really is about. Is it a blog about Digital Photography? Is it about Mixed Martial Arts? Is it a Digital Diary? Is it about anything at all? I don't know the answer, and I have a feeling that I'll never find out.

I guess that is what I'm good at. Call it what you want... Jack-of-all-Trades/Master-of-None, Catcher in the Rye, blah blah blah. I have no focus. All I have are random thoughts that no one seems to be interested in.

Sigh. I'm simply not a good blogger after all.

Comments:
[i had to sign up to blogger just to be able to comment!?]

[anyways... i just wanted to say that,] 'ika nga ni master Rickey, "it is always interesting to write your own story."

free self-expression is satisfaction in itself. so what if no one seems interested? what matters is that you are happy with what you publish, for the whole world to see. keep on blogging! ;)
 
Thanks for the comment ej. And thanks for going through the trouble of signing up.

I guess it just really gets me right now. And truth is I do care that people read what I publish. See, I come from the UP Creative Writing program, and there was a time when I was one of the few who published regularly in my batch. Short stories, mostly, but features here and there. Even then I knew that closet writing was not something I wanted to do. I want to be heard. I think I have some poignant insights... and it sucks that no one wants to listen.
 
Hmmm... you have a point...pero isn't the point of blogging about being heard?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web tracker