Tuesday, July 26, 2005

 

Gaiman in 3-easy Steps

Key Words:

Okay --- so I am evil. I have no remorse whatsoever and I’m writing mostly to gloat over the serious fortune that has uncharacteristically come my way. You see, I am as big a Neil Gaiman fan as the next guy, have read most of the things he has written, own the entire set of trade paperbacks of the original Sandman series, shun owning mass-market editions of his novels (instead making sure that I own either the paperback or the hardcover), even buying the one piece of original art I own (“Silver House” rubbercut by Mariano “Nano” Ching) simply because it reminded me so much of Morpheus.

The problem is, I’m a much bigger fan of laziness. I don’t like crowds. I don’t like difficult parking places. I absolutely hate having to fall in line. I think it all comes from being deprived so much as a UP student. These days I get my comfort when and where I can.

Neil Gaiman in Manila
Thanks to my Saleslady friend.


Neil Gaiman in Manila
Hungry? Blocking the Max's entrance.

So it was with a sigh, a heavy heart, and a shrug that I succumbed to the inevitable: I knew I would neither have the energy nor the mental fortitude it would take to capitalize on what would probably be one of my favorite author’s only Manila visit. While my friends were busy getting ready for their pilgrimage to this and that mall for the signing, I was at home content effectively forgetting about the entire thing.


It is rare that the pop gods smile on me and award me a healthy dollop of good-fortune. The only thing I’ve ever won was consolation prize in an ice cream raffle (A set of matching oven mitts). So it was thoroughly surprising to me when, while on the menial errand of picking up my girlfriend in Cubao on my way home from work, I chance upon the last of three of the Neil Gaiman signing events. It was jam-packed, and, after a little sleuthing with the Gateway Mall guards, I found out that people have been in line from 4 AM. Neil, apparently, arrived at about 3 PM as scheduled and started signing right away. I myself got there at about 6:30PM and the line still wound down the LRT (Light Rail Transit) steps outside the mall entrance, out the building, and into the Aurora Boulevard streets. No chance of me getting anywhere near him for a photo op unless I was willing to fall in line for hours on end. And – I must re-stress… I’m too lazy for that.

Neil Gaiman in Manila
Damn that line is long!



Step 1: Put on the charm.
So on to plan B. Outside the Fully Booked store were bookstands featuring common Gaiman fare with some odds and ends (Noteworthy was a set of Sandman postcards that looked liked must-haves). These stands, of course, were manned by some of the bookstores’ staffers and one of them actually drew my eye. She was the only female in the bunch of otherwise testosterone-laden, eyebrow-pierced, goth-wearing store helpers. I asked her if she could take some pictures for me and gave her my camera. She smiled and obliged, taking well-focused, centered pictures of Neil. I was happy.

Defensive Note of the Day: While the pictures of myself that I have been posting do not support my claim to a good amount of charm and a teaspoon of Jedi Mind Tricks, my friends do tell me that I have my ways.

Neil Gaiman in ManilaNeil Gaiman in ManilaNeil Gaiman in Manila


Step 2: Call in favors from other fans.
In this case, my willing victim was to be my one and only sister-in-law, Ate Kitt. She texted me the night before, mentioning that she still has my large-edition “American Gods” and an unread hard-bound copy of “Endless Nights” that I have forgotten I even owned. She asked if I’d liked them returned in time for the signing. I, predictably, declined and asked her to hang on to them a little while longer, putting into motion my grand plan.

So on the day itself, I simply had to give her a cel phone call while she was in line, remind her of all the good I have brought into the life of her family, convinced her that I will take care of her children on the off chance that she and my brother decide to migrate without them to a far-off country in Northern Africa and Voila! I managed to coax her into having Neil sign my “Endless Nights” instead of another one of her books (Fans are allowed to have 2-books signed).

Step 3: Sit back and relax.
I was well on my way home by 7:00PM (barely 30 minutes from the time I parked), happy about the effortless pictures I got, confident about the signed book that was to come. Lazy dogs get their days too after all.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web tracker