Friday, July 01, 2005

 

Manila by Monochrome

Key Words:

I was driving around between meetings yesterday and decided to try my hand at spotting good photo subjects and taking pictures while in traffic. I realized that Manila looks absolutely different when viewed from the lens of black and white camera. There was an underlying primal energy that leapt out of the pictures I took. I don't know how to explain it, but it was like going all the way to Banawe and taking photographs of the Ifugaos while they went on their daily activities. Filipinos are so ethnic, basic, and natural. I guess, to me, that is where the beauty of the Filipino is.

I'm thinking of pushing for this new hobby: Drive-by Photography. It should be an extreme sport, as I learned, managing to avoid collisions only by divine good fortune. It was difficult trying to keep the vehicle under control, picking subjects, and making sure that the windshield won't mess up the shot, all at the same time.

MMD Aide
"MMD Aide"



Going Nowhere
"Going Nowhere"

Spanish Lady
"Spanish Lady"


I feel blessed, as a green-hobbyist-photographer, that there is this rich trove of subjects that I have access to. Roaming the streets of San Juan, Quezon City, and Manila, I witnessed life in all it's aspects. I learned how taking a photo of the various street vendors and workers will always be an essay in simplicity. And the art will always be in being patient enough to wait for the last moment before sinking your forefinger into the button and taking the picture. Before that moment comes, you sit there waiting for the subject to get perfectly ready to tell his story.

Poste
"Poste"

Patotot
"Patotot"


I would love to hear your comments.

Comments:
nice shots - how do you manage to take them? while inside the car?
 
Exactly. Mahirap nga dude. Plus I try to be discreet about it coz I don't know how the subjects will react.

It's enjoyable but it's not for everyone.
 
hoy bayaw, punta ka sa blog ko. nagbloblog ka rin pala! rambling-soul.blogspot.com. si ricky ba kapartner mo from the states?
di ka na nagpapakita, ah.
 
BAYAW!

Oo... pero this version of my blog is just a couple of weeks old. Si Rickey ang podcast co-host ko. Promote mo yung talk radio namin ha?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

web tracker